Monday, August 3, 2009

Pardon the Interruption

Please allow me a brief departure from talking about life in general to talking about my life specifically. Thirteen years ago at this very hour, my life changed in the most blessed of ways. She said “I do.” Words can not describe, even now, the ways those little words transformed my life.

I can remember like it was yesterday being a lonely misplaced freshman at Georgia Southern University who was looking for something, anything to keep his sanity. For three weeks, I had only ventured out of my one bedroom apartment to go to class. I decided to visit a campus student organization that was hosting a meeting that evening. I’m not sure you can appreciate the stretch that was for me. There is nothing more intimidating for me than a room full of people that I don’t know. I can teach them, just don’t expect me to interact with them.

She was the first person that I saw. I don’t think she was the first to speak to me or to greet me. She was just the first person that I SAW. When she smiled, it lit the room. (It still does.) As my eyes gazed in her direction, I think the whole earth stopped spinning while angels sang and rays of sunlight illuminated her. I was mesmerized. She, I think, was probably underwhelmed. Just doing what she does. She was excited by a room full of people that she really didn’t know, but would make certain that she did before the evening was done. I was just another guy in the room.

Weeks went by before a video camera and a broken rib would solidify our unique attachment. I stopped being just another guy in the room. I started being the guy in the room…that she would go to for “guy” advice. Such is my luck. I already knew that she was way out of my league though, so I was content simply be near her… for her beauty to radiate my life, for her smile to suddenly erupt and ruin a perfectly good pity party! (I can throw world class pity parties!)

Weeks went by, and our relationship grew. Our friendship grew more intimate (in the nonsexual way) and my attachment to her grew. I knew that I didn’t want to spend the rest of my life without her. I just didn’t know what to do about it. I am awkward. You know the dork who can never figure out what to do or say as it relates to the opposite sex? I am that dork!

Eventually, with lots of encouragement from my brother, (Thanks Kev!) I kissed her. I can’t imagine heaven itself holding a sweeter event. My heart pounded! My spine tingled! I was way past smitten.

A couple of years later, I asked her to marry me. She said yes. I kept waiting for her to change her mind. What did a girl like that see in a guy like me? I still ask myself that. And I still don’t know the answer.

On August 3rd, 1996, we wed in a small church in Bostwick, Ga. We had no idea what life would have in store for us. We had no idea that medical conditions with our first child would try us beyond what we could imagine. We had no idea that those same medical conditions would take the life of our second child or that our third child would be a running tornado. We only knew that we were committed to each other. I only knew that my life would forever be better because she said “I do.”

We still don’t know exactly what will happen. We don’t know the curves life will throw, or what plans will fail. But we still dream together. We still plan together. We still raise our two beautiful boys together. Through it all we are committed, to God first and then to each other. I don’t deserve her, but I thank God for her.

I Love You, Dawn! Thank you for the best thirteen years of my life.

And thank you to those of you who have shared this journey with us. May god bless each of you greatly!

1 comment:

  1. I am so blessed to call you both friends/family! Happy happy anniversary and thanks for being you! I love y'all!

    ReplyDelete